Futures Mixed With S&P 500 Nearing New High
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ U.S. stock futures rose Friday as the government released a report showing that a spike in gas prices pushed overall consumer prices higher last month.
Dow Jones industrial futures rose 4 points to 14,456. The broader S&P futures gained 0.30 points to hit 1,556.30. Nasdaq futures rose 4 points to 2,804.
While futures do not always indicate where the market will go at the opening bell, the S&P closed within two points of its all-time high Thursday and appeared to be in position to test new ground Friday. The Dow extended its reach into new territory during a 10th consecutive day of gains.
The Labor Department said consumer prices increased a seasonally adjusted 0.7 percent last month from January, the biggest rise since June 2009.However, gas prices rose 9.11 percent, driving the increase, after prices had fallen during the previous four months. That hike in gas prices represents three-fourths of the total consumer spending figure. For example, food prices increased just 0.1 percent. Later on Friday, the Federal Reserve posts industrial production numbers. Most economists believe output at the nation's factories, mines and utilities increased 0.3 percent last month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV