It is really hard to explain Samsung's outsized success in the smartphone market. Is it just the gigantic marketing budget? Was it luck somewhere along the road? Is it their vertical integration with semiconductors and screens? It's not as if some of Samsung's market leadership isn't deserved in principle, but the magnitude appears disproportional to the actual product differences.
One thing is clear, though: After this Broadway production, I have more respect for the competition when it simply sticks to the facts and gives us the engineering reasons it has come up with this-or-that software or hardware feature. This goes for Microsoft (MSFT), Apple, HTC, BlackBerry (BBRY), LG, Motorola, Sony and Google itself, just to mention the most important ones.
Another thing is also clear: For those of us who want to stay on the cutting edge of Android software, a Samsung keynote is nowhere to be. It's when Google itself is in charge of the engineering-focused, gimmick-free presentation that we learn what is really of interest.
Phil Schiller can sleep with a smile tonight. He has been redeemed.At the time of publication, Wahlman was long GOOG, AAPL and QCOM, and short MSFT. Follow @antonwahlman This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV