Liberty Media Corporation (Nasdaq: LMCA, LMCB) today announced that the winning entry for its fourth annual Media for Liberty Award is “The Wrath of Putin,” a story by Masha Gessen that appeared in the April 2012 issue of Vanity Fair magazine.
As described by Vanity Fair, “ The Wrath of Putin” uncovers the complicated conflict between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Mikhail Khodorkovsky, once Russia’s richest oligarch. The conflict has led to Khodorkovsky’s imprisonment for almost a decade, the smashing of his empire and fear among his family members. But, he may now be Vladimir Putin’s most dangerous opponent. With in-depth reporting from Moscow and her own personal experience and relationships, Masha Gessen masterfully chronicles the bitter war between “one man’s truth and another’s tyranny.”
“The Media for Liberty Award is about recognizing great works of journalism that capture the connection between economic and political liberty and Masha has written a remarkable and compelling story that embodies the goal of the award,” said John Malone, Chairman of Liberty Media. “On behalf of the jury panel, we congratulate her along with the editors and publishers of Vanity Fair for telling this story and further exposing the challenging nature of the evolution of Russian business and politics and its impact on human rights and freedom.”
“The Wrath of Putin” by Masha Gessen for Vanity Fair magazine will be celebrated at a ceremony hosted by Liberty Media and emceed by John Stossel, host of “STOSSEL” on Fox Business and Fox News contributor, at the Newseum in Washington, D.C.The Media for Liberty Award is a $50,000 journalism prize that recognizes media contributions that examine the link between economic and political liberty. Print, broadcast and online submissions were judged on criteria including thematic relevance, educational value and relevance to the public discourse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV