SAN JOSE, Calif., March 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With the roar of a chainsaw, Mayor Chuck Reed and Councilmember Sam Liccardo (District 3) with innovative partners, SmartWAVE Technologies and Ruckus Wireless, Inc. (NYSE: RKUS), cut the faux Ethernet cable on Thursday, March 14, 2013 to mark the availability of the free, Wickedly Fast Wi-Fi Network in Downtown San Jose. The Wickedly Fast Wi-Fi, operated by the City of San Jose, is accessible through the downtown core from East St. John Street to the north, portions of Balbach Street and Viola Avenue to the south, North 6 th Street to the east, and Almaden Boulevard to the west. The new network will deliver Wi-Fi speeds up to three to four times faster than conventional, existing Wi-Fi public networks across the country.
"As the Capital of Silicon Valley, San Jose is proud to help bring this advanced outdoor Wi-Fi technology to everyone who lives, works, and visits our downtown," remarked Mayor Chuck Reed. "I'd like to thank SmartWAVE Technologies and Ruckus Wireless for partnering with us on this innovative project during a time of limited resources."
The City of San Jose launched this unique public/private partnership to help bring the Wi-Fi network to life. Over the past year, Ruckus and its integration partner, SmartWAVE Technologies, have been providing Smart Wi-Fi equipment and ongoing technical and engineering support to the City's IT Department throughout the deployment of the network. The result is the Wickedly Fast Wi-Fi Network, created with leading-edge technology, developed in Silicon Valley, at minimal cost to the City.The network also benefits the City's downtown parking infrastructure, primarily the pay-to-park meters, by improving the speed by which time-sensitive transactions occur. In addition, it connects City facilities by providing high-speed alternatives to traditional telecommunications circuits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV