Graph 1: BlueHornet Networks' 2013 Consumer Views Of Email Marketing Report Revealed That In 2013 Consumers Are Likely To Simply Delete An Email If It Doesn't Display Properly On A Mobile Device, Up More Than 10% Over 2012. (Graphic: BlueHornet Networks)
BlueHornet Networks, Inc., a leading enterprise email service provider and business unit of Digital River, Inc. (NASDAQ: DRIV), today released its 2013 Consumer Views of Email Marketing report: www.bluehornet.com/ConsumerViews2013. The results highlight important findings around consumer behavior and sentiment toward email marketing. The survey includes response data from a national panel of 1,000 U.S. consumers between the ages of 25 and 40 who live in urban or suburban areas.
Among the key survey findings:
- Email-enabled mobile device usage increased by eight percent since 2012, and 43 percent of consumers say they read emails most often on a mobile device.
- Sixty-three percent of consumers say they may buy from an email read on a mobile device, while the number who may unsubscribe due to poor mobile display exceeds 30 percent (graph 1).
- Nearly 84 percent of consumers report discounts as the most important reason for signing up to receive emails and 74.2 percent will redeem a discount by showing their mobile device to a cashier.
- Nearly 70 percent of consumers open emails from familiar brands whose products they already consume.
- In 2013, seven percent more consumers will consider opting down instead of unsubscribing when given the choice compared to 2012.
In addition to analyzing 2013 survey results, the report includes year-over-year comparisons of consumer research conducted by BlueHornet in 2012.
“By surveying similar demographic groups and asking several of the same questions each year, we’ve been able to identify shifts in how consumers view email marketing,” said Susan Tull, vice president of marketing for BlueHornet. “By including new questions for 2013, this year’s report provides marketers with useful data in understanding possible future trends and behavior patterns.”To discuss the survey results in more detail, BlueHornet will host a live webinar on Thursday, Mar. 21, at 10:00 a.m. PDT/ 1:00 p.m. EDT. The webinar will showcase video interviews with consumers and highlight examples from retail email programs that support key takeaways and recommendations. Register at www.bluehornet.com/ConsumerViews2013Webinar. BlueHornet’s Consumer Views of Email Marketing report was designed to give marketers added insight into:
- Email acquisition – how and why consumers sign up to receive emails;
- Mobile usage and sentiment – the increasing use and changing perceptions of email-enabled mobile devices;
- Email usage, engagement and purchase behavior – the factors that influence engagement and conversion;
- Advanced targeting – consumer trust in and perception of location-based and site behavior targeting; and
- Unsubscribing – why consumers are more likely to unsubscribe and opt ‘down.’
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts