Survey: Millennials Don't Want McMansions
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- What do young homeowners want in a new house?
More or less, they want to get their hands dirty.
That's the conclusion of a study by Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate that says America's 18- to 35-year-olds don't want any part of the luxury homes ("McMansions" in real estate parlance) their parents coveted.
Instead, they want efficient, purposeful homes, and they aren't above paying less for a unique fixer-upper they can spend weekends sprucing up.In addition, younger homeowners disdain the conventional wisdom that says they want to lean on their parents for money to buy and maintain a home. The survey says 82% of millennials want "independence" in choosing and fixing up a home and want to handle chores and repairs on their own, not turn to mom and dad for help. "The quintessential home for the millennial generation vastly differs from the traditional norms of generations before them," says Sherry Chris, president and CEO of Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate. Some other takeaways from the survey:
- 30% of Millennials want a fixer-upper house over a home that needs only minimal repairs - as long as they get a deal on the price.
- 47% of young homeowners would try to fix a home maintenance problem rather than pay a professional.
- 72% of millennials say they are "as handy or more handy" with household maintenance than their parents.
- 43% do not want a "cookie-cutter" home. They want a unique home they can put their personal stamp on.
- 20% have turned their dining rooms into a home office (that's part of the push for "efficiency" referred to in the study.)
- 43% of millennial homeowners want to turn their living room into a plush home theater (that's part of the "technology" emphasis referred to in the study.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV