SILVER SPRING, Md., March 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- On Tuesday, March 26, Discovery Communications will host the second annual SAY YES TO THE PROM event at the company's global headquarters in Silver Spring, Md. Forty girls from Magruder High School in Rockville, Md. and KidsPeace, a private charity dedicated to serving the behavioral and mental health needs of children, families and communities, will visit Discovery for a day of mentoring, prom dress shopping and makeovers. This year the initiative expanded to include Women in Cable Telecommunications (WICT), who called on its members to donate dresses and accessories. In total, more than 700 dresses were donated by Discovery employees and WICT members across the country to ensure deserving girls will have a prom night to remember.
Monte Durham, fashion director and star of TLC's SAY YES TO THE DRESS: ATLANTA, will host the day and ensure his personal touch is given to every ensemble before each girl says "yes to the prom dress." Every girl is paired with a Discovery employee who serves as coach, personal shopper and style assistant throughout the day. Girls will be pampered with head-to-toe makeovers and their choice of the most stylish prom looks and accessories. The day concludes with a red carpet reveal hosted by Monte where the girls show off their personalized prom day looks.
"Say Yes to the Prom is a collaborative effort that harnesses the generosity and collective power of Discovery's employees, on-air talent, the cable industry and local vendors to make a difference in the lives of young women," said Adria Alpert Romm, Senior Executive Vice President, Human Resources and Global Diversity. "Discovery's greatest asset is our employees who are passionate about giving back to the communities where they work and live."
To further build the relationship with the girls and their employee mentors, Discovery held a pre-prom mixer and networking event.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV