Vermont Has a Rental Problem, and It's Not Alone (and It's Not About Rent)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- There are more than 107 million U.S. adults renting houses or apartments, according to the Rental Protection Agency (and more than 22 million landlords, by the way.) In addition, there are 2,654 new renters everyday.
One state renters new and old may want to avoid is Vermont. It's of the most serene and scenic in the nation, but only 29% of Vermonters bother to rent there (compared with 47% in New York and 43% in California). It's no wonder why: The price of renting an apartment is a pocketbook killer there.
This is not to pick on Vermont -- it just has the freshest statistics on income and rental affordability. But the Vermont story points to a larger issue for consumers and the economy: It's getting much harder to afford a home or apartment rental.
Here's a look at the problem, using Vermont as an example.According to the Washington, D.C.-based National Low Income Housing Coalition, Vermont renters need to earn about $18 an hour, or $38,541 in annual income, to "afford a basic apartment." That's a problem, given the median per capita income in Vermont was $28,089, according to state figures. "Vermont has been and still is one of the states with the least affordable rental housing," says Ted Wimpey, director of the Fair Housing Project at the Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity. "It is extremely difficult now for even moderate-income people in Vermont to find affordable rental housing, and the situation has many serious consequences, including increased homelessness and suppressed economic development."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV