BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Mr. Market is in regroup mode this week, moving sideways after a push higher to just below all-time highs for the S&P 500. For its part, the Dow has been enjoying its new role plowing to new highs; the index of 30 blue-chip stocks hit new all-time highs again this week.
There are a couple of factors in this market that investors should be paying attention to. For starters, there's still a lot of money sitting on the sidelines. A handful of retail investor surveys show around half of the investing public still waiting for an opportunity to get back into stocks. The lack of a spike in interest rates offers some extra evidence for that as well -- the mountain of cash sitting in treasuries isn't exactly fleeing everyone's "favorite" risk-off asset right now.
So while investor anxiety may be perking up a bit as stocks splash up into new high water marks, this rally is far from running out of steam. That fact could put a whole lot more upside ahead of us in 2013. That's why today we're taking a technical look at the price setups forming in five of the biggest names on Wall Street.If you're new to technical analysis, here's the executive summary. >>5 Rocket Stocks Getting Ready for Blastoff Technicals are a study of the market itself. Since the market is ultimately the only mechanism that determines a stock's price, technical analysis is a valuable tool even in the roughest of trading conditions. Technical charts are used every day by proprietary trading floors, Wall Street's biggest financial firms, and individual investors to get an edge on the market. And research shows that skilled technical traders can bank gains as much as 90% of the time. Every week, I take an in-depth look at big names that are telling important technical stories. Here's this week's look at the charts of five high-volume stocks to trade for gains. >>5 Hated Earnings Stocks Poised to Pop
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV