KANSAS CITY, Mo., March 14, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The Cerner Technology Center (CTC), a data center facility owned and operated by Cerner (Nasdaq:CERN) at its world headquarters campus, has earned the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) ENERGY STAR certification, which signifies that the building performs in the top 25 percent of similar facilities nationwide for energy efficiency and meets strict energy efficiency performance levels set by the EPA.
Commercial buildings that earn EPA's ENERGY STAR certification use an average of 35 percent less energy than typical buildings and also release 35 percent less carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Cerner improved its energy performance by managing energy strategically across the entire organization and by making cost-effective improvements to its building.
"Cerner is pleased to accept EPA's ENERGY STAR certification in recognition of our energy efficiency efforts," said Bill Graff, senior vice president, Cerner Technology Services. "Managing the balance between energy efficiency and hosting service reliability is a complex undertaking, requiring careful design, management, and continual monitoring."To earn the ENERGY STAR certification, Cerner has implemented a number of design principles and adjustments in its CTC focused on limiting energy consumption to match current demand:
- Utilizing a modular design, only opening new data center rooms as needed to allow for new computing capacity;
- Implementing a hot/cold aisle air delivery system in data center rooms;
- Focusing on limiting air mixing between cooling zones to maximize the delivery of cold air where needed; and
- Adjusting the temperature of the chilled water loop system used to cool the air in the data centers to a temperature well suited for computing operation, limiting the electrical draw of the cooling components used throughout the facility.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV