Can Silver Outperform Gold In 2013?
Looking at US Mint sales in 2011 and 2012, Sprott said that silver and gold coins have received the same amount of investment dollars. That means investors are purchasing 53 percent more silver than gold.
Sprott added that his own firm raised $320 million in the final tranche when it issued its silver trust compared to $349 million raised for gold a few months earlier. “We bought 50 times more silver for investment purposes,” he said.
Sprott maintains that the current level of demand for silver cannot continue without it having an impact on the market. When silver is available seven to one, investors cannot keep buying it 50 to one without causing something to happen, Sprott said.The allure of silver prices A lot of silver's attraction stems from the fact that it trades based on many of the same fundamentals as gold, but is much more affordable than its yellow peer. Investors around the globe are taking note of this fact. Major metal markets, which are known for their large gold appetites, are increasingly turning their sights to the white metal. Last October, The Wall Street Journal reported a notable shift in focus from gold to silver among Indian investors, identifying silver's apparent undervaluation as a primary reason for the switch. Demand has also surged in China. China's appetite for the white metal has made it the world's largest silver market, according to the Silver Institute. As demand has grown, so too have the product offerings that give investors accessibility to the market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV