NEW YORK, March 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Fixed mortgage rates showed a big increase this week, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage jumping to 3.85 percent this week, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.35 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage rate climbed higher this week (3.03 percent), as did the larger jumbo 30-year fixed mortgage, jumping to 4.18 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages were mixed, with the 3-year ARM slipping to 3.00 percent, the 5-year ARM rising to 2.82 percent, and the 7-year ARM inching up to 2.99 percent.Mortgage rates jumped to a 7-month high following a report of robust job growth and encouraging economic data on business investment and retail sales. The benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate, now at 3.85 percent, is the highest since it was 3.91 percent on Aug. 22, 2012. Positive economic news leads to higher bond yields, as evidenced by the 10-year Treasury note climbing back above the 2 percent threshold. Mortgage rates are closely related to yields on long-term government bonds, with mortgage rates following suit and moving higher also. The last time mortgage rates were above 5 percent was Apr. 2011. At the time, the average 30-year fixed rate was 5.07 percent, meaning a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $1,082.22. With the average rate currently at 3.85 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $937.62, a difference of $145 per month for anyone refinancing now. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 3.85% -- up from 3.73% last week (avg. points: 0.35)15-year fixed: 3.03% -- up from 2.96% last week (avg. points: 0.35)5/1 ARM: 2.82% -- up from 2.68% last week (avg. points: 0.21)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV