The Dow And S&P Are Dancing Cheek To Cheek
In recent years the Dow has gotten ridiculed as a stodgy old index that isn't representative of the overall stock market. It's important to remember, however, that the Dow's correlation on a day-to-day basis with the broader S&P 500 remains extremely high. Below is a chart showing the rolling one-year correlation between the Dow and the S&P 500 using daily percentage moves over the last 30 years. As shown, the correlation between the two indexes over the last year is just under 0.97 (1.0 is perfectly correlated), which is a very high reading.
You'll notice in the chart that the correlation between the Dow and the S&P 500 has been trending slightly lower since the start of the bull market. This slow creep lower is normal during long-term uptrends. It's interesting to note that the correlation between the Dow and the S&P 500 peaked recently right at the lows of the bear market in 2009. One of the tenets of investing is diversification, but as investors saw first hand during the financial crisis, correlations tend to spike towards 1 during big downturns, which pretty much defeats the purpose of asset allocation!
Covestor Ltd. is a registered investment advisor. Covestor licenses investment strategies from its Model Managers to establish investment models. The commentary here is provided as general and impersonal information and should not be construed as recommendations or advice. Information from Model Managers and third-party sources deemed to be reliable but not guaranteed. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Transaction histories for Covestor models available upon request. Additional important disclosures available at http://site.covestor.com/help/disclosures. For information about Covestor and its services, go to http://covestor.com or contact Covestor Client Services at (866) 825-3005, x703.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV