BURLINGTON, Mass., March 14, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Coronado Biosciences, Inc. (Nasdaq:CNDO), a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of novel immunotherapy biologic agents for the treatment of autoimmune diseases and cancer, announced today its financial results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2012.
"We made significant strides in 2012 towards increasing the value of our product candidates and expanded our pipeline of clinical trials," said Dr. Harlan F. Weisman, Coronado's Chairman and CEO. "It was an important year for Coronado in that we signed a collaboration agreement with Dr. Falk Pharma GmbH (Falk) and Ovamed GmbH (Ovamed) for the development of TSO ( Trichuris suis ova or CNDO-201) for Crohn's disease, initiated TRUST-I, our phase 2 clinical trial of TSO in Crohn's disease, and initiated two investigator-initiated studies evaluating TSO in ulcerative colitis and autism spectrum disorders. Additionally, we commenced a phase 1/2 trial of CNDO-109 activated allogeneic natural killer (NK) cells, our second technology, in acute myeloid leukemia (AML). From a financial standpoint, in 2012, we conducted our first public offering with net proceeds of $26.5 million and secured a $15.0 million loan facility with Hercules Technology Growth Capital to further support our clinical development efforts.
"This is an exciting time for Coronado. We believe results from the two phase 2 trials in Crohn's disease, and possibly data from the autism study and the recently announced investigator-initiated psoriasis study, have the potential to positively validate the hygiene hypothesis and our mission to provide life-changing therapies for autoimmune diseases during 2013. We are committed to continuing our momentum throughout 2013, starting with the initiation of several more investigator-initiated studies for TSO in various autoimmune diseases in 2013."Financial Highlights:
- Coronado reported a net loss of $8.7 million, or $0.36 per share, for the fourth quarter of 2012 compared to a net loss of $6.7 million, or $0.52 per share, for the fourth quarter of 2011. For the year ended December 31, 2012, Coronado reported a net loss of $ 27.6 million, or $1.27 per share, compared to a net loss of $36.4 million, or $4.74 per share before the common stock dividend to Series A Preferred Stockholders, for 2011.
- Research and development expenses were $17.5 million for the year ended December 31, 2012, compared to $8.6 million for 2011. General and administrative expenses totaled $8.7 million for the year ended December 31, 2012, compared to $5.8 million for 2011. In 2012, R&D included expenses related to the TSO clinical program and G&A included expenses related to the company's infrastructure growth and increased business activity.
- At December 31, 2012, Coronado's cash and cash equivalents totaled $40.2 million. During the first quarter of 2013, and through March 13, 2013, the company sold an aggregate of approximately 1.4 million shares of common stock under an at market issuance facility for net proceeds of $10.5 million.
- Initiated phase 1/2 trial of CNDO-109 activated allogeneic NK cells in AML
- Signed Clinical Trial Agreement with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), to evaluate TSO for the treatment of ulcerative colitis in a multi-center phase 2 clinical trial that will be conducted by the NIAID-funded Autoimmunity Centers of Excellence (ACE)
- Acquired manufacturing rights to TSO from Ovamed, for North America, South America, and Japan, Coronado's licensed territory and, in conjunction therewith, acquired a lease agreement to establish a manufacturing facility in Woburn, MA to produce TSO
- Appointed Dr. Harlan F. Weisman, a director for the company since August 2012, Chairman and CEO
- Signed Research Collaboration and License Agreement with Freie Universität Berlin for secretory products of Trichuris suis
- Commenced an investigator-initiated study evaluating TSO in psoriasis
- ROTH Capital Partners 25th Annual Growth Stock Conference, March 18, 2013
- Analyst Event, April 9, 2013
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV