TORONTO, March 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ - Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp. (TSX: PRE; BVC: PREC; BOVESPA: PREB) announced today that a commercial arbitration decision in Colombia has been rendered in connection with its dispute with Ecopetrol, S.A. ("Ecopetrol") regarding the interpretation of the high-prices clause ("PAP") of its Quifa Association Contract. The Company is evaluating the decision as it leaves open several unresolved issues. The Company is also evaluating all of its alternative remedies under Colombian laws and applicable international treaties.
The Company's share of production in the Quifa SW field is 60% after royalties. This participation may decrease when the application of the PAP is triggered.
On September 27, 2011, Ecopetrol and the Company agreed on an arbitration process to settle differences in the interpretation of the PAP clause in the Quifa Association Contract and its effect on their share of production.
On March 13, 2013, the arbitration panel delivered its decision interpreting that the PAP formula should be calculated on 100% of the production of the Quifa SW field, instead of simply the Company's 60%.However, the arbitration panel expressly denied Ecopetrol's demand for an order for Pacific Rubiales to deliver the associated volumes of hydrocarbons as a result of its interpretation of the PAP formula. The arbitration decision is not yet firm nor does it provide enforceable remedies against the Company. In the event that the interpretation of the PAP formula by the arbitration panel becomes enforceable, the Company would be required to deliver an additional 1,393,252 bbl of oil to Ecopetrol, representing Ecopetrol's additional share in Quifa SW production from April 3, 2011 to December 31, 2012, which in any case would be delivered in kind from future production out of 10% of its daily net share of production of the Quifa SW field (as of today, approximately 2,270 bbl/d over a 20 month period). This additional volume has been recorded as an over-lift on the Company´s consolidated financial statements as at December 31, 2012. As a result of the above and under prudent accounting practice, a provision has been made in the Company´s 2012 year-end financials to account for cumulative amounts accrued as follows:
- U.S. $92 million negative impact on 2012 EBITDA, from U.S. $2,110 million to US$2,018 million, representing approximately a 4% reduction.
- U.S. $61 million negative impact on 2012 Net Income, from U.S. $589 million to U.S. $528 million, which is around a 10% reduction.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV