CHICAGO, March 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Morningstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: MORN), a leading provider of independent investment research, today reported estimated U.S. mutual fund asset flows through February 2013. The strong start to the year continued, as investors added $51.9 billion to long-term open-end mutual funds in February to build on inflows of $87.2 billion in January. With inflows of $18.6 billion, taxable-bond funds topped all asset classes for the month, but international-stock funds, which took in $16.5 billion, were not far behind.
Additional highlights from Morningstar's report on mutual fund flows:
- Diversified emerging-markets funds saw the strongest inflows among Morningstar categories in February, collecting $6.2 billion.
- Even though it may not be a clear sign of a rotation out of bonds and into stocks, investors are taking on more risk. Precious metals, money market, and most government bond funds saw outflows, while bank loan and emerging-markets bond offerings captured new assets. Even less diversified offerings like sector funds also saw strong inflows.
- Bronze-rated PIMCO Unconstrained Bond led all active funds with inflows of $2.2 billion in February, and Gold-rated Eaton Vance Floating Rate, with new assets of $1.1 billion, led the recently popular bank-loan category.
To view the complete report, please visit http://www.global.morningstar.com/febflows13. To view a video recapping February's U.S. asset flow trends, please visit http://bit.ly/feb2013flows. For more information about Morningstar Asset Flows, please visit http://global.morningstar.com/assetflows.
The information contained herein: (1) is proprietary to Morningstar and/or its content providers; (2) may not be copied or distributed; and (3) is not warranted to be accurate, complete, or timely. Neither Morningstar nor its content providers are responsible for any damages or losses arising from any use of this information. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts