Second-most-Irish U.S. city: Albany, N.Y.
Irish-American population: 17.8%
If you haven't found your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow just yet, Albany offers the lowest median home price of the five metro areas that boast America's most heavily Irish-American populations.
Zillow calculates that a typical Albany home costs a relatively modest $183,700, even though prices have risen 3.4% over the past year. (Click here for a rundown of local properties for sale.)Jeff Cleary of Albany's Irish American Heritage Museum () says the city's Celtic community dates back to the early 1800s, when laborers came from the old country to help build the Erie Canal. "Then the Great Famine struck and people came to Albany because they had relatives or connections here to get work through a cousin or a long-lost son," he says. Ultimately, so many Irish immigrants flocked to the south side of New York's capital city that the neighborhood is still called Limerick. Albany also hosts two Irish cultural organizations, the Capital District Celtic Cultural Association and the Capital District Irish American Center/Albany Ancient Order of Hibernians. Both offer concerts and other cultural activities, while Cleary says more than a half-dozen shops in an around Albany import authentic Irish butter, cheese, clothes and other goods.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV