Fourth-most-Irish U.S. city: Philadelphia
Irish-American population: 16.7%
The City of Brotherly Love has such a large Celtic population that some local groups don't merely cater to Irish-Americans in general, but to residents whose ancestors came from specific Irish counties.
"If you're interested in Irish heritage and culture, this is the place to be," says IrishPhiladelphia.com's Foley. "There are many times when I leave cultural events that I'm surprised I'm still in Philadelphia, because it feels like I'm [visiting] Ireland."Many cultural activities take place at the Commodore John Barry Irish Center, which not only hosts a local Irish Hall of Fame and a popular pub, but individual clubs for people whose forefathers arrived from Cavan, Galway and other Celtic locales. The Philadelphia Ceili Group also sponsors local Irish music, while hurling and other traditional sports are so popular that the city's Gaelic Athletic Association is building a new complex in -- appropriately enough -- the suburb of Limerick Township. There's even an Irish Immigration Center to help modern-day expatriates. If all of that sounds like your cup of Irish Breakfast, Zillow has nearly 14,000 listings for Philadelphia homes. A median-priced place should cost you about $188,700 in the metro area, where prices have risen about 1.6% in past 12 months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV