Fifth-most-Irish U.S. city: Providence, R.I.
Irish-American population: 14.9%
Nearly one person in six in and around Rhode Island's capital is of Irish descent, giving rise to all sorts of Celtic-themed clubs, pubs, restaurants and activities.
"Providence's Irish contingent is strong enough that I can find lots of people of a like heritage, but not so dominant that I only have Irish friends," says Ned McCrory of the Society of Friendly Sons of St. Patrick's local chapter.McCrory's 113-year-old club is just one of several Providence-area Irish cultural groups. The Museum of Newport Irish History documents the community's experience going back to the 17th century, while the Ceilidhe Club of Rhode Island sponsors concerts and classes in Irish music, knitting, Gaelic and more. There's even an annual "Tour de Patrick" -- a series of three 5-kilometer running races held around St. Patrick's Day. If you're looking to move to Providence, Zillow estimates the metro area's median home price at $212,800, up 3.4% over the past year. The site lists some 1,800 Providence properties for sale.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV