Jorge Bergoglio Elected New Pope (Update 1)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) - The election of Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, signaled by the traditional white smoke billowing from a chimney on the roof of the Sistine chapel, followed a two-day conclave involving 115 cardinals.
Last month, in a shock move, Pope Benedict XVI stepped down for health reasons, the first pope to retire in 600 years.
Bergoglio, 76, will take the papal name Francis I. Born in Buenos Aires, Bergoglio is the first Latin American pope.
Bergoglio is apparently already tweeting, using the @Pontifex account. He tweeted "HABEMUS PAPAM FRANCISCUM," which in English, roughly means, "We have Pope Francis".
HABEMUS PAPAM FRANCISCUM— Pontifex (@Pontifex) March 13, 2013--Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV