5 Unusual Tax Deductions for Small Businesses
3. Legal Fees for Illegal Activity
If you ever hired a legal defense lawyer for a criminal proceeding against yourself as a business person, the legal fees are tax deductible regardless of the lawsuit's outcome. It is important to note that the rules for personal lawsuits, such as divorce are different. However, if you embezzle money from your own business and need a lawyer to represent you, deduct away!
4. Donate inventory
Unsold or unused inventory is a cost to you. Instead of spending money on storing inventory or taking a complete loss, donate it and get a tax deduction. Keep in mind though, donations above $500 have more rigorous reporting rules.
5. Hire Your Kids and SpouseIf you pay a minor child up to approximately $6,000 annually from your profit for helping you with business-related tasks, that amount is not taxed at the same rate as income. Also, if you hire your spouse, then as an employer you can pay for the health care of your spouse's family, i.e., yours! Health care benefits expenses are also tax deductible. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Follow @LKulikowski To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV