But, here's the beauty . . . as I articulated earlier this week in Will Microsoft (MSFT) Fire Ballmer When Blackberry Crushes Windows?, the stars have aligned for RIM. (I call them RIM from the cockles of my heart).
From the Maple Leafs analogy, consider the rampant ineptitude of Ballmer and Windows Mobile. If I'm battling to solidify myself as No. 3 to Apple and Android, I would choose Microsoft as my foe any day of the week. Add to the mix, a clearly weakened Apple -- at least from a marketing standpoint -- and a still fragmented Android market and significant opportunity exists for Blackberry to stand out.
Remember, Blackberry, through all of the crap they put themselves, Canadians and the world through, has always made good phones. I never questioned the quality of the company's hardware. In fact, I have owned Blackberry smartphones in the past. Marketing has always been the issue since Steve Jobs came along and schooled James Balsillie.
Based on what I saw at South by (I am so hip!), Blackberry has part turned the corner and part taken advantage of overall weakness from the competition that once crushed it. No doubt, it's still crushing it from a marketshare standpoint, but I expect that to change . . . first in Canada and then in the U.S. as the Blackberry Z10 goes on sale later this month.Look at it this way, all Blackberry has to do to be considered a minor, but impressive success is pull further away from Windows Phone. I cannot imagine a scenario where that does not happen in 2013. Follow @rocco_thestreet --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV