Were rules forcing OTC trading into clearinghouses to preempt an increase in electronic trading instead of independently negotiated trades, Carrier notes that Wall Street banks could face further pressure on trading earnings.
"[We] view clearing alone as a modest headwind," writes the analyst. JPMorgan could see a 4% earnings hit as a result of having to process trades through clearinghouses, however, the move could free up capital for the nation's largest bank by assets.
On the other hand, Carrier cites Goldman as being among "a few of the leading dealers" that could "gain a first mover technological advantage," from the switch.
The implementation of the new swaps rules is just the beginning of reforms to some of the risky trading environment prior to the financial crisis, as Wall Street and Washington continue to hammer out the so-called Volcker Rule to put limits on how much capital megabanks can speculate on risky trading activities.-- Written by Antoine Gara in New York Follow @AntoineGara
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV