MakeMusic Reports Fourth Quarter And Fiscal Year 2012 Results
MakeMusic, Inc. (NASDAQ: MMUS), a world leader in music technology, announced financial results for the period ended December 31, 2012. As previously announced and further explained below, MakeMusic has entered into a definitive agreement with LaunchEquity Partners, LLC pursuant to which MakeMusic expects to be acquired in an all-cash transaction.
Chairman of the Board Robert Morrison commented, “Our SmartMusic ® business performed well during the fourth quarter and we continued our work to launch new and enhanced versions of Finale ® and SmartMusic in mid-2013. We are pleased with the progress we are making towards these goals, as well as with our other product development, sales and marketing initiatives, including our upcoming release of an iPad ® version of SmartMusic. We remain focused on developing and offering fresh and innovative solutions that advance the ways in which music is composed, taught, learned and performed.”
COO and CFO Karen VanDerBosch added, “SmartMusic subscriptions rose to 209,418 as of December 31, 2012, a 17% year-over-year increase and SmartMusic revenue increased by 15% in 2012. This growth was offset by a decline in notation revenue, reflecting year-over-year changes in the timing of a new release of Finale. Our push to modernize our notation software platform is on schedule and we look forward to unveiling the new product mid-year. In addition, we completed our rebranding initiatives to achieve a more consistent look and feel for our products. Just last week we launched a new version of MakeMusic’s website that has our new branding and enhanced e-commerce capabilities.”
Financial Results for the Quarter Ended December 31, 2012 Compared to the Quarter Ended December 31, 2011
Net revenues were $4.7 million, compared to $5.9 million.
- Notation revenue was $2.3 million compared to $3.8 million. Included in 2012 Notation revenue was $320,000 relating to Garritan TM product sales. A new version of Finale was released in October 2011, but not in 2012.
- SmartMusic revenue was $2.4 million compared to $2.1 million.
- Gross profit was $3.8 million, or 81% of revenue, compared to $5.0 million, or 86% of revenue. The gross profit percentage decline is due to product mix.
- Operating expenses were $5.0 million, compared to $4.0 million, due to previously announced investments in our technology architecture, increased expenses due to sales and marketing initiatives and legal and financial advisory expenses associated with responding to the proposal received from LaunchEquity Partners, LLC in July 2012.
- Net loss was $1.3 million, or $0.26 per basic and diluted share, compared to net income of $694,000, or $0.14 per basic and diluted share.
Net revenues were $17.7 million, compared to $17.0 million.
- Notation revenue was $9.1 million compared to $9.5 million. Included in 2012 Notation revenue was $1.0 million relating to Garritan product sales.
- SmartMusic revenue was $8.7 million compared to $7.5 million.
- Gross profit was $14.8 million, or 83% of revenue, compared to $14.2 million, or 84% of revenue.
- Operating expenses were $19.8 million, compared to $14.1 million, due to previously announced investments in our technology architecture, increased expenses due to sales and marketing initiatives and legal and financial advisory expenses associated with responding to the proposal received from LaunchEquity Partners, LLC in July 2012. Additionally, there were increases in legal and severance expenses associated with the June 2012 departure of the company’s former CEO.
- Net loss was $3.7 million, or $0.74 per basic and diluted share, compared to net income of $4,000, or $0.00 per basic and diluted share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV