The Hershey Company (NYSE: HSY):
- Social studies class at Milton Hershey School in Pennsylvania shares cultural experiences with students in Assin Fosu, Ghana
- The first-of-its-kind program was developed by Hershey in partnership with Source Trust and Milton Hershey School
The Hershey Company (NYSE: HSY) today announced that it will continue through the end of the 2013 school year its successful Hershey Learn to Grow Ghana Distance Learning Program, a unique distance learning program launched last fall. The program links school children in Hershey, Pa., and Ghana through real-time, high-definition technology that creates a common, virtual classroom experience.
The program allows approximately 80 middle school students in classrooms on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean to connect and share cultural experiences. The Milton Hershey School students connect to the students in Assin Fosu, Ghana, a rural town located in the Central Region, from The Hershey Story, The Museum on Chocolate Avenue in downtown Hershey, Pa.
This semester, teachers are encouraging the students in Hershey, Pa., and Assin Fosu, Ghana, to research selected topics of interest, plan how to engage in the topic and then lead parts of the actual live classroom sessions.“We are excited about this new approach, which is less teacher-driven and will allow the children to lead the sessions, directly engage with each other and truly share the best of their cultures,” said David Bruce, sixth-grade social studies teacher at Milton Hershey School. “We believe this new approach will be more meaningful and provide a deeper understanding for the students of what it’s like to live in each country.” During the spring semester, students will cover a range of topics that will enable them to explore each other’s culture and country’s practices. For example, one session covers “festivals” and looks at how and why each country celebrates important cultural events or special occasions. In another session, students in Ghana plan to talk about how children are named in their country and the cultural significance of different names.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV