AVG Technologies N.V. (NYSE: AVG), the provider of Internet and mobile security to 146 million active users, today released helpful tips for safeguarding hoops fans as they wage their bets online during March Madness.
Over the years AVG’s threat labs have seen time and again that certain events entice cybercriminals to step up their game. For March Madness, data thieves have developed multiple ways to subvert the rush to predict who will win the big dance. What methods do they use to trick betters?
- Spamdexing – Designed to elevate fraudulent websites to the first page of search results. Cybercriminals manipulate search engines by using repeated unrelated phrases or optimizing a Web page around one topic to dupe visitors into downloading virus-infected brackets, encouraging them to register and collecting identity details in the process.
- Phishing – Cybercriminals send out e-mails suggesting recipients register now to put in their playoff predictions. They deploy clever tactics to direct fans to places where they can steal personal details. They may even suggest using a Facebook login to register, giving them access to this very valuable piece of a person’s identity.
That said, following are tips for winning the security game this month:
- Go to a trusted source to enter your predictions or collect bracket printable content.
- If someone is making you an online offer that seems too good to be true, the offer is likely a scam. Check the address of the website in question. If you don’t recognize the brand or if it looks suspicious, leave immediately.
- If you’re unsure about an email (you never subscribed or do not know the sender), delete it.
- Rather than clicking on a link, manually type in the Web address of a site you know and navigate to the content you want to get to.
For more tips or to learn about AVG’s product offerings, please visit www.AVG.com.About AVG Technologies (NYSE: AVG)AVG’s mission is to simplify, optimize and secure the Internet experience, providing peace of mind to a connected world. AVG’s powerful yet easy-to-use software and online services put users in control of their Internet experience. By choosing AVG’s software and services, users become part of a trusted global community that benefits from inherent network effects, mutual protection and support. AVG has grown its user base to 146 million active users as of December 31, 2012 and offers a product portfolio that targets the consumer and small business markets and includes Internet security, PC performance optimization, online backup, mobile security, identity protection and family safety software. www.avg.com Keep in touch with AVG
- For breaking news, follow AVG on Twitter at www.twitter.com/officialAVGnews
- For small business security trends analysis, follow the AVG small business blog at small-business.blog.avg.com
- Join our Facebook community at www.facebook.com/AVGfree
- Join our LinkedIn community www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2719797
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts