Alternative Investments: Is There Wisdom In The Crowd?
A survey released in February by EverBank found that more than half of individual investors are looking for alternatives to traditional U.S. stocks, bonds, and bank deposits this year. The question you have to ask yourself is: Should the emerging popularity of alternative investments make you more attracted to them, or should it scare you off?
Investor psychology is a fascinating topic. Some theorize that there is a collective wisdom in the actions of large numbers of people, while others point to how mass popularity has fed some epic investment bubbles over the years. In other words, you can look at popular opinion as a tip toward a new direction, or as a contrary indicator.
What the crowd is saying
EverBank interviewed 300 individual investors, and found that 52 percent them are looking at alternatives to traditional U.S. equities in 2013, with precious metals and international stocks being the most popular choices. Many of these investors are also looking to juice up the cash portion of their portfolios as well. With savings account interest rates mired under 1 percent, investors expressed interest in international bonds, currency trading and real estate as possible income sources.
What to make of the crowd's advice
As you decide what to make of the popular opinions expressed in a survey like this, here are some things to keep in mind:
- People tend to talk up their existing investments. Whether it is the man on the street or certain popular television commentators, people tend to hype things they are already invested in. It can be hard to distinguish between someone honestly sharing advice and someone pumping up the price of their investments.
- Complexity and mass appeal are a dangerous combination. People moving into currency trading or foreign bonds in large numbers should give you pause. The investment fundamentals and trading dynamics of these things are extremely complicated, and the more they become the subject of a popular fad, the more those details will be overlooked.
- Popular fads create overpricing. Speaking of popular fads, sometimes people can be attracted to a sector for the right reason, but ultimately the volume of investors flocking to that sector will drive the price up to the point where there is more risk than potential reward.
- Context is everything. Regardless of what the popular trend is, don't lose sight of the fact that you have unique needs and circumstances that your portfolio should be structured to address. Investments should be selected on the basis of how they serve your objectives, and not because other people like them.
- Keep it in proportion. A little diversification, such as adding some international equities to your U.S. stocks, can be a good thing. That doesn't mean you should make large-scale substitutions of alternatives for conventional investments. Among other things, easing gradually into new positions will reduce market timing risk.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV