When confronted by those facts, conservatives often point to single-provider systems in Britain where some citizens complain about long lines and inferior care.
Germany has a private provider system quite similar to the one evolving with Obamacare. Everyone has to play and most folks are covered by mandatory government-subsidized, employer-based insurance. However, unlike Obamacare, that system aggressively regulates prices through private-sector consensus building.
Germany caps health-care spending and sets provider prices through a complex system of private-sector negotiations that divide the pie.
Americans spend nearly $10,000 per person on health care while the Germans spend half as much. By most measures, German health care is as good or superior to what Americans receive.Just like the government doesn't always know best, markets and competition don't always contain costs effectively and provide the best outcomes. Germans get it but conservative Republicans don't. Moreover, a German solution, by costing the federal government so much less, streamlining the morass of regulations and reporting requirements, better engaging private providers and reducing federal and state costs, would actually reduce and better limit the bureaucratic burdens insurance companies and government agencies impose on health-care providers. As long as unbending conservatives like Paul Ryan control Republican thinking on fiscal policy the GOP will not offer solutions to the nation's budget woes that attract popular support, it won't win back the Senate and it faces terrible difficulties winning the presidency. Follow @pmorici1 This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV