- Remove the memory and SIM cards. Both store personal data and are best kept safe in your possession or destroyed.
- Use a data removal application to ensure data really is deleted. Android users can use AVG AntiVirus Free™, for example. For other platforms there is a list of apps available on the CTIA web site.
- Once the data is deleted, then run a factory reset. Instructions can be found on manufacturers’ or carriers’ websites.
- If you are going to simply throw away your mobile phone, older handsets can contain toxic materials. Consult your local authority or drop it off at a mobile phone retailer, where they will be able to dispose of it correctly. Additionally, there are specialist companies that will take it apart and recycle each component.
- Of course, recycling or handing it on for use is a good option; there are many charities and organizations that redistribute old phones and will even send you a pre-paid postage box to send it in. Just search on the Internet for the many options!
AVG Technologies Offers Tips And Advice For Removing Data From Old Mobile Devices
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts