The SIFI status will certainly bring up the subject of New York Community Bancorp's quarterly dividend of 25 cents a share, for a dividend yield of 7.16%. That's the highest yield on common shares for actively traded U.S. banks, according to Thomson Reuters Bank Insight.
Please see TheStreet's 10 Buy-Rated Bank Stocks With Highest Dividend Yields for details on other bank stocks with high dividend yields.
New York Community Bancorp reported 2012 net income of $501.1 million, or $1.13 a share, increasing from $480.0 million, or $1.09 a share in 2011. Some analysts have questioned New York Community Bancorp's ability to continue paying out nearly all of its earnings, especially if the company becomes an SIFI.
When discussing the possibility of the company being forced by regulators to cut the dividend if and when it is treated as an SIFI, "Ficalora said during the company's earnings conference call on Jan. 30 that "there is individual review of every bank with regard to capacity to pay. And the limitation on capacity to pay is driven by the adequacy of your capital to deal with stress. There is no indication that we aren't way overcapitalized based on the likely charges we would have to capital."Gilbert said there was a "favorable risk/reward" in her analysis of several possible deal outcomes for New York Community Bancorp, most of which would include the company maintaining the annual dividend of $1.00 a share. But if the company is unable to complete a major acquisition, with weak loan demand continuing in a hostile interest rate environment, she said there was "potential downside" to a share price of $12.00.
A Market Pause
After seven straight winning sessions for S&P 500 (SPX.X) Index, investors' excitement over the U.S. economic recovery seemed to fade. The S&P and Nasdaq Composite
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV