AVG Technologies N.V. (NYSE: AVG), the provider of Internet and mobile security to 146 million active users, today released helpful tips for keeping consumers and their mobile devices safe on St. Patrick’s Day.
St. Patrick’s Day, the 17 th of March, is a day of cultural and religious celebration for the “Feast of St. Patrick” that is often commemorated with parades, pub parties, city festivities and large crowds. As with all major celebrations, the day’s reputation is to encourage people to relax, enjoy the company of friends and family and toast life with a glass of green beer or two. However, as with all major celebrations, crowded gatherings have the tendency to attract pickpockets and thieves who can easily steal consumers’ personal devices in the blink of an eye.
“In this mobile age, our smart devices hold an immense amount of personal data, such as financial details, emails and intimate photos, which can easily be left behind or stolen during celebratory holidays,” said Tony Anscombe, senior security evangelist at AVG. “AVG wants to encourage a fun-filled day with peace of mind and no bad luck, so we aim to protect our users wherever they go with the power to track, lock and erase personal information on their smart devices before they are accessed by unwanted perpetrators.”
To help keep the luck of the Irish with the good guys, AVG has created a list of tips to help keep consumers and their mobile devices safe during their shamrock celebrations:
- Be aware of your surroundings and report suspicious behavior
- Don’t let go of personal property: keep phones in pockets or bags, and keep bags attached to you
- Leave things at home: do you really need to carry all the normal credit/debit cards?
- If you need to use your phone, step aside or off the street and into a shop so you are less visible
- Protect your device with a PIN
- Install software such as AVG AntiVirus Free for Android™ that allows you to lock, locate and wipe your device
- Keep details of how to block credit cards and phones somewhere simple to access
- If you are unfortunate enough to be a victim, ensure you lock your data and stop all of your credit cards immediately. Make the benefit to the bad guys smaller by acting faster.
- For breaking news, follow AVG on Twitter at www.twitter.com/officialAVGnews
- For small business security trends analysis, follow the AVG small business blog at small-business.blog.avg.com
- Join our Facebook community at www.facebook.com/AVGfree
- Join our LinkedIn community www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2719797
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts