Host Hotels & Resorts
Host Hotels & Resorts (HST) is threatening a breakout of its own this week. The $12.5 billion hotelier owns 121 upscale hotels spread across the world -- but the real draw is this REIT's price chart.
Right now, HST is forming a rectangle pattern, a consolidation setup that's bounded by horizontal resistance above shares at $17.25 and horizontal support below shares at $16.50. The rectangle pattern is a lot like the pennant pattern in RPAI; it gives shares a chance to bleed off some overbought momentum after a big move higher. Resistance at $17.25 is a price level that's acted as a ceiling for shares well before the rectangle started forming, and that fact makes a breakout through resistance all the more significant.With shares testing that level this week, we could see a buy signal sooner rather than later: if shares hold above $17.25 today, it makes sense to take a position in this stock. Whenever you're looking at any technical price pattern, it's critical to think in terms of buyers and sellers. Triangles, rectangles, and other pattern names are a good quick way to explain what's going on in this stock, but they're not the reason it's tradable. Instead, it all comes down to supply and demand for shares. Resistance at $17.25 is a price where there's an excess of supply of shares; in other words, it's a place where sellers have been more eager to take recent gains and sell their shares than buyers have been to buy. That's what makes the breakout above $17.25 so significant -- it indicates that buyers are finally strong enough to absorb all of the excess supply above that price level. That's when you want to own shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV