Retail Properties of America
Up first is Retail Properties of America (RPAI), a mid-cap REIT that owns and operates retail shopping centers in 35 states. RPAI has been on a tear year-to-date, climbing more than 24% while the S&P has moved 9% higher over the same period. Sure, the S&P's gains are certainly impressive, but RPAI has been on fire.
One of the most significant things about RPAI's recent price action is that it's gone parabolic in the last few months. Fast parabolic price moves aren't sustainable for long, and that's exactly what we're seeing in Retail Properties of America right now. Shares have been consolidating sideways since the start of March, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. RPAI has been moving sideways in a pennant pattern, a short-term trading pattern that generally signals a continuation of the prior trend.And in RPAI's case, that prior trend was very bullish. In short, the pennant is a chance for this stock to bleed off some overbought momentum after such a swift move upwards. The buy signal comes when shares push up through the top of the pennant. We could see that happen this week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV