NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) annual meeting, coming up in early May, has become the stuff of legends, and is not your typical shareholder gathering. This is a weekend event, attended by thousands, complete with a reception, 5K, picnic, and exclusive shareholder shopping at a Berkshire owned company (Borsheims), and "Steak Night." Most if not all other annual meetings pale in comparison to this event, and are typically not well attended by shareholders.
One that is well-attended, however, especially given the size of the company, is the Biglari Holdings (BH) annual meeting, coming April 4 in NYC. I try not to miss this meeting; and this year should prove to be especially interesting.
Biglari Holdings has been embroiled in a fairly well publicized battle with Cracker Barrel (CBRL) , haven taken a 20% stake in the country dining chain. Biglari Holdings CEO Sardar Biglari has not minced words about the greater transparency and changes he wants to see at Cracker Barrel; and he has failed so far to obtain seats on the board of directors.
That's where the story starts to get interesting. In previous columns I've discussed the fact that Biglari Holdings' Cracker Barrel stake represents a large portion of the company's market cap; and that number continues to rise. As of yesterday's close, Biglari Holdings, which has a $472 million market cap, owned $372 million worth of Cracker Barrel. Quite interestingly, Cracker Barrel shares have risen more than 40% over the past year, and are trading at an all-time high. Meanwhile, Biglari Holdings shares are down 5% during the same period. And it's not as if Biglari obtained all of its' CBRL stake, over the past year; at this time last year, it already owned about 14.5% of the company, worth about $190 million.
BH data by YCharts
CBRL data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV