Premacure initiated the clinical development of the preventative treatment with a formulation of recombinant human IGF-1 combined with a recombinant version of its naturally occurring binding protein, insulin-like growth factor-1 binding protein-3 (IFGBP3).
A Phase I clinical trial was conducted and results showed that the levels of IGF-1 were increased to within physiological levels and that administration of the investigational protein to preterm infants is generally well tolerated. A Phase II, safety and efficacy multi-centre clinical trial has started in Sweden and is on-going.
Notes to editorsShire enables people with life-altering conditions to lead better lives. Through our deep understanding of patients' needs, we develop and provide healthcare in the areas of:
- Behavioral Health and Gastro Intestinal conditions
- Rare Diseases
- Regenerative Medicine
- Shire's products may not be a commercial success;
- revenues from ADDERALL XR are subject to generic erosion;
- the failure to obtain and maintain reimbursement, or an adequate level of reimbursement, by third-party payors in a timely manner for Shire's products may impact future revenues and earnings;
- Shire relies on a single source for manufacture of certain of its products and a disruption to the supply chain for those products may result in Shire being unable to continue marketing or developing a product or may result in Shire being unable to do so on a commercially viable basis;
- Shire uses third party manufacturers to manufacture many of its products and is reliant upon third party contractors for certain goods and services, and any inability of these third party manufacturers to manufacture products, or any failure of these third party contractors to provide these goods and services, in each case in accordance with its respective contractual obligations, could adversely affect Shire's ability to manage its manufacturing processes or to operate its business;
- the development, approval and manufacturing of Shire's products is subject to extensive oversight by various regulatory agencies and regulatory approvals or interventions associated with changes to manufacturing sites, ingredients or manufacturing processes could lead to significant delays, increase in operating costs, lost product sales, an interruption of research activities or the delay of new product launches;
- the actions of certain customers could affect Shire 's ability to sell or market products profitably and fluctuations in buying or distribution patterns by such customers could adversely impact Shire's revenues, financial conditions or results of operations;
- investigations or enforcement action by regulatory authorities or law enforcement agencies relating to Shire's activities in the highly regulated markets in which it operates may result in the distraction of senior management, significant legal costs and the payment of substantial compensation or fines;
- adverse outcomes in legal matters and other disputes, including Shire's ability to obtain, maintain, enforce and defend patents and other intellectual property rights required for its business, could have a material adverse effect on Shire's revenues, financial condition or results of operations;