BROOKLYN, N.Y. and WORCESTER, Mass., March 12, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- World Energy Solutions, Inc. (Nasdaq:XWES), a leading energy management services firm, today announced it has teamed with GNYHA Services to help Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, a 350-bed teaching hospital in Brooklyn, successfully procure more than 28 million kWh of electricity from renewable sources. The resulting 24-month contract is expected to dramatically reduce the hospital's carbon footprint while cutting its electricity costs by approximately $120,000.
Through a series of online auctions run on the World Energy Exchange®, Wyckoff Heights Medical Center was able to test pricing for various terms and products in an efficient and transparent manner. In all, the competitive event attracted nine suppliers, who over the course of 45 minutes submitted more than 90 bids, resulting in a new contract for 100% green power – a first for the hospital. Delivery under the new contract terms begins in April 2013.
By purchasing 100% green energy, Wyckoff Heights Medical Center is expecting to reduce its carbon dioxide emissions by 10,030 metric tons each year. This reduction is the equivalent of each of the following:
- Annual greenhouse gas emissions from 2,090 passenger vehicles
- CO 2 emissions from 1,124,459 gallons of gasoline consumed
- CO 2 emissions from 23,326 barrels of oil consumed
- CO 2 emissions from the electricity use of 1,502 homes for one year
(Source: EPA Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator)"Going green is an important part of our evolution as a care provider for our community," said Ramon Rodriguez, CEO, Wyckoff Heights Medical Center. "World Energy and GNYHA Services delivered a great process for procuring green power, one that attracted more suppliers to compete for our business, drove aggressive bidding, and ultimately resulted in a landmark purchase – at a great price – for our medical center."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV