March 12, 2013
4Q Preliminary Results
- Revenues of approximately $4.8 million; the quarterly sequential variation in revenues reflected a decline in the fourth quarter of Tales Runner contributions in Hong Kong as well as the beneficial impact on third-quarter revenues of licensing fees, a category of revenues GigaMedia did not receive in the fourth quarter.
- Net loss of $2.2 million.
- Cash outflow of approximately $1.4 million.
- Operating loss in GigaMedia's online games business of $700 thousand.
- Cash, cash equivalents, and marketable securities-current of approximately $80.5 million, with the quarterly sequential decrease largely related to a variation in the value of marketable securities-current.
- Short-term debt held steady at approximately $7.7 million.
- Online Games Business - GigaMedia's FunTown online games business forecasts mixed results in the first quarter, with growth in the MMO titles A.V.A. and Tales Runner offsetting declines in casual games.
- Cloud Computing Business - Management believes GigaMedia's cloud computing business is well positioned to benefit from an emerging market for cloud services for SMEs in Greater China and achieve significant long-term growth. GigaMedia expects plans to strengthen and scale-up its cloud computing business will help drive growth and increasingly offset the challenges GigaMedia faces; namely, strong competition in the online game market and the repositioning of GigaMedia's online games business. Management does not expect the cloud computing business to make a contribution to operating results in the first quarter of 2013.
- GigaMedia expects to receive cash proceeds in the late first/early second quarter in excess of $1 million from the sale of non-strategic assets.
(NASDAQ: GIGM) announced today preliminary fourth-quarter 2012 consolidated financial results.
"Fourth-quarter revenues were down due to a decline in revenues in
from our legacy MMO title Tales Runner; the decline reflected a variety of factors, including a lack of new content," stated GigaMedia Limited Chief Executive Officer
. "As noted, in the third quarter, we also benefited from licensing revenues, which we did not have in the fourth quarter."
"Going forward, we seek to stabilize the performance of our legacy PC-based products while we transition the business, extending our offerings to self-developed browser/mobile games, which we will start rolling out in the second half of this year," stated CEO
"We also look forward to growth of our new GigaCloud business, which has completed initial product development and is now operational," added CEO
. "While we forecast minimal initial contributions from GigaCloud, we continue to be enthusiastic about the market opportunity and will provide details on our 4Q call on a new strategic partnership we are now finalizing that will strengthen the business."
"Finally, we are currently working on the disposal of certain game-related investments, which are non-strategic and would boost our cash," stated CEO
. "We will provide further details on these transactions in due course."
The financial results presented above are preliminary and subject to completion. GigaMedia's expectations with respect to these unaudited results are based on management estimates and information available at this time. As a result, these preliminary estimates may be different from the actual results that will be reflected in GigaMedia's consolidated financial statements for the fourth quarter of 2012 when they are released.