10 Highest-Paying Temp Jobs
By David Schepp
One way to get a foot in the door of a desirable employer is to get hired as a temp. This year, 40% of employers plan to hire temporary and contract workers, compared to 36% last year, according to an annual forecast byCareerBuilder (an AOL Jobs sponsor). Of these companies, 42% plan to offer some of their temporary workers permanent, full-time work.
Employers turn to temporary workers when they need to quickly ramp up operations in response to rising demand for their services or goods, says Eric Gilpin, president of the career site's staffing and recruiting group. "For job seekers, it's a great way to build relationships with employers and expand your resume, and is often an in-road into permanent placement within firms," he says.
What's more, many temp jobs are well-paying, providing wages that top $25 an hour (which during the course of year would top $50,000, based on a 40-hour workweek.) Using data from CareerBuilder, Economic Modeling Specialists and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, AOL Jobs has compiled a list of the highest-paying temp jobs, pulled from more than 90 national and state employment resources. (Note: the median wages noted for each occupation are those paid to workers regardless of whether they are permanent or temporary employees.)
Check out the list, and then let us if these temporary jobs are careers you'd consider in your next job search. 10. Human Resource, Training and Labor Relations Specialists (recruits, screens, interviews and places workers, and may handle other HR work, such as employee relations, training, and payroll and benefits):
- Number of people employed: 59,597.
- Jobs added from 2010 to 2012: 11,893 - 25% growth.
- Median hourly wage: $26.44.
- Number of people employed: 10,885.
- Jobs added from 2010 to 2012: 1,689 - 18% growth.
- Median hourly wage: $30.04.
8. Business Operations Specialist (works with various departments to coordinate operations, hires workers and buys supplies needed to ensure that a company can provide the goods and services that its customers want):
- Number of people employed: 10,528.
- Jobs added from 2010 to 2012: 1,677 - 19% growth.
- Median hourly wage: $30.82.
- Number of people employed: 66,844.
- Jobs added from 2010 to 2012: 8,766 - 15% growth.
- Median hourly wage: $32.10.
6. Computer Programmer (writes code to create software programs, and turns designs created by software developers and engineers into instructions that computers can follow):
- Number of people employed: 11,487.
- Jobs added from 2010 to 2012: 1,821 - 19% growth.
- Median hourly wage: $34.48.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV