Indiana County Student David "DJ" Gress Is 'Poetry Out Loud' State Champion
HARRISBURG, Pa., March 11, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- David "DJ" Gress, a senior at The Kiski School, Indiana County, today won the state finals of the 2013 "Poetry Out Loud: National Recitation Contest."
The Pennsylvania Council on the Arts hosted the competition at the Governor's Residence in Harrisburg. Governor Tom Corbett, along with First Lady Susan Corbett, chair of the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, welcomed the competitors to the Residence.
"Governor Corbett and I are pleased to host the finals for Pennsylvania's Poetry Out Loud competition. During the past eight years, 55,000 high school students have participated in the competition," said Susan Corbett. "We congratulate this year's 14 finalists and the parents, teachers and principals who supported them in this endeavor."
Gress will represent Pennsylvania at the national championship to be held in Washington, D.C. April 28-30. The state champion will receive $200 from The Poetry Foundation and an expense-paid trip to compete in the national championship, which will award a total of $50,000 in scholarships and school stipends, with at least one $20,000 college scholarship.Second place went to Alex Jackson, a sophomore at Mercersburg Academy in Franklin County. Gress and Jackson were among 14 regional finalists chosen from 10,000 Pennsylvania high school students who participated in this year's competition. It is facilitated through the Pennsylvania Council on the Arts. Each student memorized and performed three poems selected from print and online poetry anthologies. Students were judged on voice and articulation, physical presence, dramatic appropriateness, evidence of understanding, level of difficulty, overall performance and accuracy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV