PORTLAND, Maine, March 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- iVantage Health Analytics today released its latest rankings of the top performing Critical Access Hospitals as determined by the company's Hospital Strength Index™. The Top 100 Critical Access Hospitals are the nation's best rural safety-net institutions. The Hospital Strength Index is a comprehensive scorecard that evaluates: market conditions, clinical and operational performance, and financial and qualitative outcomes.
HealthStrong™ Top 100 Critical Access Hospital List included here.
- Top 100 CAHs include 60 multi-year Top Performers with 40 new facilities joining the ranks in 2013;
- Top 100 CAHs perform as well or better at the median overall than the full census of all U.S. general acute care hospitals;
- Top 100 CAHs are disproportionately located in the Northern half of the United States with nearly one third located in three contiguous Upper Midwest states (13 in Wisconsin; 9 in Minnesota; 9 in Iowa);
- Top 100 CAHs face the least population-based demand for future healthcare services while their Quality is near the Top Quartile when compared to all U.S. general acute care hospitals;
- Top 100 CAH performance is in the Top Quartile of all U.S. general acute care hospitals in the Financial and Cost & Charge categories of the study; and
- Top 100 CAHs are equally divided in terms of organizational structure – (52% are independent; 48% are system-affiliated).