Army Corps Of Engineers And FLW Outdoors To Partner On Efforts To Connect America's Youth With The Outdoors
WASHINGTON, March 11, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) announced today it will partner with FLW Outdoors and the FLW Foundation on future events and activities designed to connect America's youth to their natural resources while promoting education, conservation and an active lifestyle.
FLW Outdoors, named after the founder of Ranger Boats, Forest L. Wood, is a nationally-recognized fishing tournament organization. FLW Outdoors offers anglers of all skill levels the opportunity to compete in more than 231 fishing tournaments annually across five tournament circuits. USACE officials estimate that more than 60% percent of these tournaments are held on USACE-managed lakes.
In the months ahead, USACE, FLW Outdoors and the FLW Foundation, a non-profit cooperating association of FLW Outdoors, have agreed to work together to accomplish the following:
- maintain and enhance environmental and natural resources stewardship;
- promote conservation and appreciation for the outdoors, along with public safety awareness and boating education to the public, with particular focus on America's youth; and
- connect the American public with nature, parks and outdoor activities, with particular focus on activities related to fishing.
"Partnerships like this are key to engaging the public and getting the word out about the variety of recreation opportunities at USACE lakes," said Steven L. Stockton, director of USACE Civil Works. "More importantly, these opportunities build future good stewards among America's youth of our nation's natural resources.""This partnership between FLW, the FLW Foundation and USACE reinforces FLW's commitment to conservation and educating today's youth about the sport of fishing," said FLW President of Operations Kathy Fennel. "Today's young people are the future of recreational and competitive fishing, and we are pleased to be working side-by-side with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to ensure that our fishing resources will be enjoyed by generations to come." The FLW Foundation functions nationwide and strives to maximize the impact of existing FLW partnerships and to support youth fishing and boating safety programs as well as career pathway programs for high school and college students. The foundation also supports conservation programs to enhance aquatic habitat and sustain quality fisheries for future generations. For more information, visit the community outreach section of FLWOutdoors.com. USACE is the nation's largest federal provider of outdoor recreation, managing more than 400 lake and river projects in 43 states and hosting more than 370 million visits per year. With 90 percent of these recreation areas within 50 miles of metropolitan areas they provide a diverse range of outdoor activities close to home and to people of all ages. For more information on Corps recreation sites and opportunities, visit www.corpslakes.us SOURCE U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV