Perhaps the next Google will be a hybrid combination of two or more existing companies. For instance, a dark horse like BlackBerry (BBRY) could team up with a company such as Nokia (NOK) to compete in the growing market for less-expensive mobile devices.
If a tech titan like Oracle (ORCL) took some of its $33.7 billion and acquired companies like BBRY and NOK (which it easily could afford to do) a new contender might emerge. Stranger things have happened in the world of big technology surprises.
With ORCL's seemingly endless array of software platforms, business intelligence analytic applications, Web commerce, and industry-specific applications software products it could dominate the many millions of mobile device users who want to conduct business on the same smartphone that they chat with family and friends.
In the final analysis, the next Google may be a start-up company we've never heard of that won't be going public anytime soon. But as our imaginations run wild, consider my combination of ORCL, BBRY and NOK in a merger-marriage with a company like Yahoo! (YHOO) with its search engine expertise and legions of loyal customers and, well, you might just have the ideal recipe.In the meantime, GOOG shares are receiving the kind of publicity and upgrades that AAPL used to receive. On Monday RBC Capital reiterated an outperform rating for GOOG and raised it price target to $950 from $840. One lesser-known firm, Pacific Crest, and its tech analyst Evan Wilson reiterated an outperform for GOOG, and Wilson raised his price target to $980 from $820. He recently wrote that the company's reputation of having "uninspired management and
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV