Report Shows Progress For Women In North Carolina, Alongside Increased Poverty
WASHINGTON, March 11, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A new report prepared by the Institute for Women's Policy Research (IWPR) shows women climbing up education and career ladders, while increasing numbers fall into poverty. The Status of Women in North Carolina was funded by the North Carolina Council for Women, Wells Fargo, and several women's funds.
Over the last two decades, the female workforce in North Carolina became more diverse, more educated, and more likely to work in professional and managerial occupations. Despite having generally higher levels of education then men, women face lower earnings. With women earning 82.5 cents for every dollar earned by a man, however, North Carolina has a smaller wage gap than the nation as a whole.
"Women in North Carolina, historically and according to the most recent data, have strengthened the state's economy and local communities in many ways," said Cynthia Hess, Ph.D., IWPR Study Director and co-author of the report.
According to the report , between 1990 and 2010:
- The share of women with at least a bachelor's degree increased from 16 percent in 1990 to 27 percent in 2010.
- The share of women employed in managerial and professional occupations increased from 26 percent to 40 percent (between 1994 and 2010).
- The proportion of women in poverty increased from 14 to 17 percent.
- The share of the female population comprised of immigrants grew from two percent to seven percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV