Digitimes cited sources from within Amazon's supply chain that the company's rumored smartphone may have hit a setback. Plans were for Amazon to release the phone in the second quarter of this year, but Amazon's manufacturing partner, Foxconn International Holdings, has hit some snags.
The issues stem as the phone is still going through its engineering verification test (EVT) period, due in large part to issues related to its mobile platform.
Amazon is already selling multiple pieces of hardware, including the popular Kindle e-reader, as well as the Kindle Fire tablets. TheStreet reviewed Amazon's latest Kindle Fire tablet, the Kindle Fire HD in September 2012.By expanding its hardware offerings, Amazon is going up against the likes of Apple (AAPL), Google (GOOG) and Samsung in the battle for consumer's mind share. Amazon is taking a different approach than Apple and Samsung as it relates to hardware. CEO Jeff Bezos has said in the past Amazon breaks even on the devices, making money only when a customer uses it to purchase something. "Basically, we sell the hardware at our cost, so it is break even on the hardware," Bezos said in an interview with the BBC last year. "We're not trying to make money on the hardware." Conversely, Apple and Samsung account for the majority of profits in the mobile device industry, with the iPhone and iPad, and Samsung's Galaxy line of smartphones and tablets. Rumors of an Amazon smartphone were first heard last year. An Amazon spokesman could not be immediately reached for comment for this story. Shares of Amazon fell 0.92% to $271.66 in early Monday trading. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV