It's a simple question of risk management. Assuming you're long theta / short gamma in any size, you'll be hedging your deltas within some tolerable range. But the larger your gamma exposure, the more your deltas will change as the underlying moves around, and as gamma exposure grows toward the end of an expiration cycle, it can become increasingly difficult and impractical to hedge that directional risk. Think of your deltas as a mechanical bull, and your gammas as the rate and intensity at which the bull throws you around. The ride starts off quietly, but as time goes on the bull gets increasingly difficult to ride, and eventually you're likely to be thrown. That's exactly what happens during an expiration week in which the underlying makes an unexpected move: option shorts can't control their directional risk as easily as they'd like and have to hedge more deltas to stay on the ride, which only feeds the existing move in the underlying, which -- because of all that negative gamma -- forces options shorts to hedge even more deltas and so on into a downward spiral of flailing limbs, bruises, and spilled beer.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
Jared can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/CondorOptions
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV