Newmont Mining Corporation Stock Hold Recommendation Reiterated (NEM)
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass
- NEWMONT MINING CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, NEWMONT MINING CORP increased its bottom line by earning $3.78 versus $1.03 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.15 versus $3.78).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income increased by 165.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$1,028.00 million to $673.00 million.
- NEM, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 6.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 10.4%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to $842.00 million or 8.67% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow NEWMONT MINING CORP is still fairing well by exceeding its industry average cash flow growth rate of -45.29%.
- NEM's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 29.56%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
--Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff. It's Official: Action Alerts PLUS beats the S&P 500 with Dividends Reinvested! Cramer and Link were up 16.72% in 2012. Were you? See what they are trading for 14-days FREE
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts