The Board of Directors of General Electric Company [NYSE: GE] has nominated Mary Schapiro, former chairman of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), as a GE director. Schapiro will stand for election at GE’s annual meeting of shareowners on April 24, 2013.
“Mary Schapiro will bring valuable expertise to GE, particularly with her experience overseeing U.S. financial markets,” said GE Chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt. “Her understanding of corporate governance and financial regulation will be of great benefit to GE and its shareowners. I am pleased that we have nominated Mary to our board.”
Schapiro served as chairman of the SEC from January 2009 through December 2012. Prior to becoming SEC chairman, Schapiro served as chief executive officer of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) from 2007 through 2008. She joined FINRA in 1996, serving as president of the National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD) Regulation from 1996 to 2002 and as vice chairman from 2002 to 2006, when she was named chairman.
Schapiro served as a commissioner of the SEC from December 1988 to October 1994, and left the SEC when appointed chairman of the CFTC, where she served until 1996.Prior to her 2009 SEC appointment, Schapiro also served as a director and chair of the audit committee at Duke Energy, and as lead director and chair of the nominating and governance committee at Kraft Foods. Schapiro is a graduate of Franklin & Marshall College and earned a law degree from George Washington University Law School. About GE GE (NYSE: GE) works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. Finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance. Building, powering, moving and curing the world. Not just imagining. Doing. GE works. For more information, visit the company's website at www.ge.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV