By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS) reports earnings Monday, and some traders are already looking at giant profits.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected unusual call buying in the specialty retailer on Friday. Activity focused on the March 50.50 and March 53 contracts. At the time the stock was down about 3%, battling to hold its 200-day moving average.
Then the buyers stepped in, and the stock proceeded to erase all its losses and end Friday up 0.48% to $50.60. But that was nothing compared with the gain in the options.Because they cheaply fix the price where shares can be bought, calls such as these can generate significant leverage from even a small gain in the stock price. The March 50.50s, for instance, traded for 95 cents to $1.05 early but then shot up near $1.70 shortly before the close. The March 53s gained even more on a percentage basis because of their lower entry price, roughly doubling from the 30cents to 40 cents range. More than 3,700 contracts changed hands in the 50.50s, while the 53s turned over 2,500 times. That was more than twice previous open interest at each strike. Total option volume in the name was 15 times greater than average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by more than 3 to 1. Russell has no positions in DKS.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV