Morici: The GOP Must Embrace Limited Government
When conservative Republicans oppose any naturalization process, because desperate people illegally snuck across the border while most Americans looked the other way and profited from their presence, or merely embrace naturalization out of political necessity, they permit liberal pundits to tag the GOP as the "White Guys Club."
The Obamacare requirement that church-related organizations employee health insurance provide contraceptive drugs and devices -- even though those are widely and inexpensively available -- is not about a woman's right to choose. Rather, it is about the federal government negating religious freedom by forcing one person to pay for another person's birth control choices.
Yet the opposition of many Republicans to any government support for contraception, even for poor women, is an equal affront to religious personal choices, and permits liberals in the media to characterize their posture as a "Republican War on Women."
On gay rights, Republicans should simply heed former New York Mayor Giuliani's admonition to stay out of people's bedrooms. Moderate voters -- who determine the outcome of elections -- have quite varying views about homosexuality but generally believe that government has no right to interfere with personal sexual choices that do not have an impact on others.To win elections, Republicans must embrace limited government, beyond how much the government taxes and spends, to situations they find discomforting -- the choices most Americans have already made about the rights of illegal immigrants, poor women, gays, and whoever else may violate their private sensibilities. Follow @PMorici1 This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV