Diversified industrial manufacturer Eaton and Cummins Inc. (NYSE: CMI) today unveiled a new powertrain package for the North American heavy duty truck market that is expected to deliver 3-6 percent fuel economy improvements, lower preventative maintenance costs, and total lifecycle cost improvements. The new product integrates an Eaton Fuller Advantage Series automated transmission with new Cummins ISX15 SmartTorque2 ratings. The product will be available in the fall of 2013 for linehaul, regional haul and less-than-truckload applications.
Speaking at a media event today at The American Trucking Associations annual Technology & Maintenance Council meeting, executives from both companies said this product announcement is the result of a long-standing collaboration between Eaton and Cummins. The powertrain package promises to deliver a more fuel efficient, reliable and robust powertrain package.
“Cummins and Eaton have had an extensive technical and business relationship over the years, in which we have collaborated on powertrain solutions for the North American on-highway markets that we serve,” said Lori Thompson, Cummins Vice President – Truck and Bus OEM Business. “This latest chapter in our partnership combines some of the best technologies from both companies and makes them smarter; delivering the level of fuel economy improvements that our customers have come to expect.”
“The collaboration between the Eaton and Cummins teams has resulted in a superior powertrain package with which both fleet owners and professional drivers will be thrilled,” said Tim Sinden, president – North American Truck Operations, Eaton’s Vehicle Group. “The level of integration between this transmission and engine is best in class in the North American heavy duty truck market.”The Eaton Fuller Advantage Series automated transmission will be offered as a small ratio step Over-Drive model with new Cummins ISX15 SmartTorque2 ratings; the ISX15 415 ST2 with torque of 1450/1650 ft-lbs, and the ISX15 450 ST2 with torque of 1550 ft-lbs /1,750 ft-lbs. Through a combination of hardware and software enhancements, the powertrain package benefits include:
- Integrated power, fuel and shifting strategies to provide three and six percent fuel economy improvement for linehaul and regional haul applications;
- Optimized engine and transmission communications and new control logic enable further engine downspeeding in the over-drive position, and the effective use of direct drive technology in operational conditions required for a blend of perfect efficiency.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV